Responsibility

We have a duty to our people and those we do business with; to the communities in which we operate and critically, to the environment.

Sustainability

Olympia London is at the forefront of event sustainability. We focus on waste reduction, recycling and promoting alternative travel options.

 

 

Sustainability

Olympia London is serious about sustainability and every year the venues take steps forward in the areas of energy efficiency, recycling, waste management and travel advice.At Olympia London, we are committed to continually improving our sustainability, especially in energy efficiency, recycling, waste management and transport management. 

As one of the founders of the British Standard for sustainable event management, we were proud to play an instrumental role in developing its successor, ISO 20121, its international equivalent. We were the first venue to be certified to this standard and continue to be certified and externally audited. 

Waste and Recycling

Olympia London works closely with organisers to minimise the waste left at the end of each event and to ensure that as much as possible can be recycled or reused.

Additional charges are levied on exhibitors and organisers to pay for the disposal of excessive waste. This has helped to make contractors take responsibility for their waste and stops ‘fly-tipping’ on our sites.

Large quantities of recyclables are separated onsite and all waste goes to local waste management plant, Powerday, where around 98% of it is recycled with the remaining 2% recovered as waste for energy.100% of our waste output is diverted from landfill. 

Energy Saving 

Olympia London is committed to investing in technology for efficient energy saving and refurbishment of spaces. A new LED lighting project has reduced energy consumption by 90%. Other projects include modernisation of building management systems to improve efficiency by 25%. Olympia London has also invested £4 million into refurbishment of its roofs. 

Sustainability reporting service for events 

Sustainability reporting is a free service to help event organisers achieve sustainability targets and to encourage useful collaboration. Reports can be provided after an event to measure gas, electricity and water consumption plus waste and recycling output in addition to journey data. This produces a holistic report of an event’s impact on the environment and year-on-year comparisons and analysis of any new sustainability measures. 

An example of an event sustainability report can be viewed here. 

Transport to Olympia London

Olympia London works with Transport For London (TFL) in order to promote sustainable travel to the venues and to collaborate on London-wide transport initiatives that have a sustainable focus.

We actively encourage visitors to utilise the extensive public transport network to reach our venues.

Our website ensures that anyone visiting the venues can obtain accurate and relevant information about the best routes to travel with their chosen mode of transport.

Cycling is especially highlighted as a sustainable and convenient way to arrive. We are presently building even more cycle racks and have free bike hire facilities at both venues.

"Olympia has been working with Transport for London to increase visitor travel to events by sustainable modes of transport. A travel plan has been developed which seeks to encourage walking, cycling and use of public transport to access the venue. Olympia and TfL will continue to work closely together and follow up monitoring will be undertaken next year to identify what action can be taken.”

Damian Price, Sustainable Transport Specialist. 

Vehicle management

Our online booking system developed in conjunction with green tech company Voyage Control allows exhibitors and contractors to book delivery and collection slots in advance. This eliminates waiting times, improving business efficiency and mitigating the impact of vehicle emissions on the local environment. 


Vehicle booking is complimented by vehicle share. Users simply view available journeys to or from Olympia London to either borrow or offer space. With exhibitors traveling an average distance of 119km per journey to and from the venue, the system can reduce up to 20% of freight costs.

 

Our Sustainability Awards:

Two AEO Excellence Awards
 

Visit London Gold Award
 

Event Magazine Green Award